A family executing the Hadd (punishment) of Zinaa in a foreign country

Question 3: I would like to know the legal decision on a person who commits a crime that incurs Hadd (ordained punishment for violating Allaah’s Law) such as Zinaa (sexual intercourse outside marriage). It should be noted that the law of the country where we live has a different punishment for this crime and if we, the family of the sinner, execute the Hadd, we will be punished by the government. What will happen if we do not execute the Hadd? Should he repent to Allaah? To what extent will Allaah accept his repentance?

Answer: You are not entitled to execute the punishment; because execution of Hudood (ordained punishments for violating Allaah’s Law) against the fornicator or any criminal, is the responsibility of the ruler or his deputy officers… read more here.

Executing the Hadd (punishment) of Zinaa in a foreign country

Question 2: There is a Muslim man who lives in Ghana which is a Christian country that does not abide by the rulings of Islaam. That man committed Zinaa (adultery). Thus, he deserved Hadd (ordained punishment for violating Allaah’s Law). He asked the Muslims who live there to apply the ruling of Sharee`ah (Islaamic law) to him. However, the government there prohibits ruling according to any law other than Christian laws. What is the ruling on that person? Has he thus expiated his sin or not? He exposed himself to punishment. However, he was denied it.

Answer: If a person commits Zinaa, they should perform sincere Tawbah (repentance to Allaah) and conceal themselves if Allaah conceals them, not ask for the Hadd to be applied to them. It is only a Muslim governor, or his deputies, who can apply Hudood. It is impermissible for the Muslims to undertake this job, as it leads to anarchy and tribulations… read more here.