The believers are afflicted with calamities in the worldly life

Question: I had an accident ten years ago that caused me hemiplegia. Moreover, I have involuntary urination and excretion. A doctor advised me not to perform Sawm (Fast). Thus, I have not performed Sawm for the past ten years. I know that I should feed a Miskeen (needy) for each day in which I did not perform Sawm. Is it permissible for me to pay money instead of food? How much should I pay for the ten years? Should I pay it to one person or to many people? Please advise us, may Allaah benefit us and you!

Answer: If the reality is as you mentioned in the question that you cannot perform Sawm permanently, you should feed a Miskeen an amount of 1.5 kg of staple food in your country. Allaah (Exalted be He) says: And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day). You should not pay money instead of food, as it is not in accordance with the Nas (Islaamic text from the Qur’aan or the Sunnah)… read more here.

Your Feedback!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s